Monday, May 11, 2009

Lucky Ladybug?

Could this be a sign? I saw a lady bug at the park today - same exact spot as last time. Jenna and I called it our Lucky Will lady bug. Perhaps tomorrow we will get our LSC?

Friday, May 8, 2009

30 days come and gone

Today is day 30 in our wait for our letter seeking confirmation. We certainly thought it would take longer than a month, but were secretly hoping.....oh well.

It is starting to dawn on us that we still have a lot of projects we need to complete before we bring home a toddler! There is still monkey border in our office from the previous home owner - so paint is a must, as well as our gameroom. We have not even started decorating Will's room! We finally bought some new, lighter suitcases for the trip. Our old ones were a joke.

So much to do, but all we really have is time, right?

Monday, May 4, 2009

That Damn Swine Flu

Well, it is official. The CCAA will be delaying the next batch of referrals. How long? Our adoption agency says 2-3 weeks, but anything is possible. Since we are in the Waiting Child program it might be different - those approvals normally just trickle in, and are not part of a big batch. So will we get our LSC around the 8th? I doubt it.

Our concern now turns to Jenna being able to start Kindergarten on time on August 24th. We really want her to start that first week with all of the other kids. That transition is going to be hard enough!

All I can say for today is........ DAMN!!!!

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Will There Be a Delay??

This week I read 2 posts of families receiving their LSC - the final letter of approval if you will - for both of them they only waited 4 weeks from their initial letter of intent (LOI). Which would be incredible, because for us that would be on May 8th. Unfortunately, this whole swine flu thing started getting crazy......

The Chinese government agency that handles adoptions (CCAA) issued a statement urging families to delay their travel until the flu scare has passed. They are not prohibiting travel - yet. What does this mean for referrals and travel, well the rumors are flying. The CCAA may hold up referrals and travel approvals for the next 30 days.....which would really bite for us. It would push everything back of course, and there could be a problem with Jenna starting Kindergarten. Don't even want to think about that!!

We'll try to stay positive, and I'll post more info as it comes in.

Monday, April 20, 2009

We have preapproval!!


Last Friday we got a very important email, our pre-approval letter. It basically states that our application will be processed, and our dossier moved into the waiting child program. YEA!


We now will wait 30-60 days for the final seal of approval - the letter seeking confirmation or LSC. After that is received, we will travel in 6 weeks. Hopefully travel will be in July, so there will not be any conflict with Jenna starting Kindergarten.


Beautiful Jenna in her Easter dress


Sunday, April 12, 2009

WE HAVE A SON!!!!!!

Can I say that we are freaking out??

2 weeks after we put in our waiting child application, we were contacted by our agency to review the file of a 16 month old boy with 3rd degree cleft lip and palate, and Hepatitis B. His name was on the shared agency list, meaning all agencies and families had access to his file, and anyone could choose to pursue his adoption.

The severity of his condition was a concern for us, so it was important for us to review all of his information with our pediatrician and an international adoption specialist in Philadelphia. I tried to get a message to our doctor, who was not working that Friday, but the nurses would not pursue it. Bring the file in on Monday, and they would put it on her desk. So frustrating!! Later that afternoon as I took Jenna to soccer practice, who did we see at the soccer fields?? You guessed it - Jenna's pediatrician! I was absolutely stunned. Nearly dropped my sunglasses actually. Dr. Cindy is awesome, was happy to review the file, and called me back at 9:30 that night to discuss everything. WOW!

Then came the consult with the specialist. She looked through every detail of his medical information, good and bad. Some things were missing, which she wants us to pursue before we travel. The tests for his Hepatitis B were inconclusive, so that will have to be redone once home. Final conclusion - this was a low risk adoption. YEA!!

We contacted our agency Monday morning, and were able to "lock" his file for the adoption. No other family would be able to have access anymore, and basically, we will be his family! We had to send in some additional paperwork and pictures, and by Wednesday, our official application was sent to China.

We decided to name him Will - for Greg's dad. It makes me smile as I read this. I had a lady bug land on my leg at a park one day before our referral. A ladybug is a good luck symbol - and I guess it really worked in this case. We hope to travel to China by this summer.

After 2 years of waiting, we have a son. It feels strange to write it. We're happy, Jenna is excited - enough said!